2017年4月14日 星期五

The Generation of Cyborg - Next Step in Human Evolution?





Are you believe that you may someday become a cyborg?

It's a joke that if you are always stick with your smartphone or computer, then you are considered to be a kind of cyborg. But what's a cyborg?

Cyborg is short for "cybernetic organism". It means "a being with both organic(natural) and biomechatronic(machine) body parts". It applies to an organism that has restored function or enhanced abilities. Therefore, besides the joke, cyborg issue is really considered to be the future of all human among the scientists.




Cyborgs in Fiction

There are a list of movies featuring mainly Cyborgs you can name, like The Terminators movie series, Star Wars movie series, Robocop, Ghost in The Shell, etc. The cyborgs in the movie are all interpreted as creatures that can do anything. They have unbreakable bodies with hundred kind of secret weapons are hidden inside(such as an Arm Cannon). They can jump down a 10-floors-tall building with no difficulty and also intelligence and calm like real machines. They deal with things that are beyond the limits of mankind easily.


T-X with her plasma gun (The Terminator 3)
Robocop

The battle between two cyborgs:



Cyborgs in Real Life:

You maybe don't know but there are several real-life human cyborgs that have already exist in the world. But they didn't accept to be equipped with electronic equipment for the purpose of fighting or having super power. In fact, most of them undergo a specific kind of implants for the purpose of medication only. Like Neil Harbisson, he is equipped with a specialized electronic eye(eyeborg) which can renders perceived colors since he was born with extreme colorblindness. 


Neil Harbisson and the eyeborg

Cyborg technology is also useful for amputees. Imaging if every amputee is equipped with new robotic limbs that are connected to their nervous systems, then they can control them with their mind and use it just like normal limbs.


Jesse Sullivan used to be an amputee before he is equipped with the robot limbs

Future Cyborg Process

I had heard about an idea of combining the cyborg project with the brain transplant project. It's mainly about transferring your brain to a robot body. In this way human being will be able to approach to immortality. However, in my opinion, I'm not sure whether it is a next step

brain transplant illustration

My Feedback

As you knew I had worked on the issue of new technologies for the last three weeks, and the issue about cyborg was actually original from one of the 6 topic I wanted to introduce to you. And if you had seen my previous blogs then you may wonder why you didn't see it before? To be honest, I had a psychological effect right after I read a study that said the clinical trials of brain transplants had already started by the scientists. I thought it's very strange for me to become a cyborg someday in the future since it sounds like I have transformed into another "creature". But "the more you fear something, the bigger it appears" I had a terrible dream about being forced to transfer my brain to another body that night and it's just freaked me out. So it took me a while to calm down to complete this article.


2 則留言:

  1. I think it is a great ideal to be a cyborg, which means that people could live without feeling pain and become immortal. However, as far as I am concerned, to achieve the goal, there is still a long way to go. Therefore, I cannot feel too excited and you don’t need to worry so much. Before becoming cyborgs, we have to be accustomed to live with robots first.

    回覆刪除
  2. I think to be a cyborg is awesome because it's probably the easist and efficient way to become immortal. I understand your worry, but in my opinion, human being's body is just a shell, and our mind is what makes us unique from each other. So, compared with being a cyborg, I'm more afraid of clone technology. Because if your memories, your thought could be duplicated, then what's your purpose of life? Well, though it sounds terrible, there is still a long way to go.

    回覆刪除